So May is a big birthday month for this little family. Between Brandon's side of the family and my side of the family we have six birthdays. Needless to say we always have something birthday wise going on. Well this week we have a cousin's birthday with a party. Brylie and I got his present a few days ago, and I should know better then to do this, but I left it out in plain sight. (Partly so I wouldn't forget I had already taken care of getting the present.) Brylie wanted to keep playing with it and I kept telling her no and trying to explain that it was a birthday present and couldn't be played with until after we had given it. I guess the temptation was too much because today she came back inside holding part of the present. I asked her if that was part of Bridger's present and she said yes. I continued to reprimand her and told her take it back outside and not play with it anymore so I could clean it up. She came back inside crying and I thought for sure it was because she got in trouble. When I asked her why she was crying she said, "I ruined Bridger's surprise." All sterness in me left right there. My sweet girl wasn't worried about getting in trouble, getting out of the mess she was in, or what might happen to her. She was worried she had ruined something for her cousin and friend. After a few minutes of convincing that she hadn't ruined anything she calmed down and actually fell asleep. (Nice little treat for me.) This is one of those instances where I want to ask where she learned this and if she could help me care more about others in my life. I definitely learn so much from her.
Thursday, May 15, 2008
Tender Heart
So May is a big birthday month for this little family. Between Brandon's side of the family and my side of the family we have six birthdays. Needless to say we always have something birthday wise going on. Well this week we have a cousin's birthday with a party. Brylie and I got his present a few days ago, and I should know better then to do this, but I left it out in plain sight. (Partly so I wouldn't forget I had already taken care of getting the present.) Brylie wanted to keep playing with it and I kept telling her no and trying to explain that it was a birthday present and couldn't be played with until after we had given it. I guess the temptation was too much because today she came back inside holding part of the present. I asked her if that was part of Bridger's present and she said yes. I continued to reprimand her and told her take it back outside and not play with it anymore so I could clean it up. She came back inside crying and I thought for sure it was because she got in trouble. When I asked her why she was crying she said, "I ruined Bridger's surprise." All sterness in me left right there. My sweet girl wasn't worried about getting in trouble, getting out of the mess she was in, or what might happen to her. She was worried she had ruined something for her cousin and friend. After a few minutes of convincing that she hadn't ruined anything she calmed down and actually fell asleep. (Nice little treat for me.) This is one of those instances where I want to ask where she learned this and if she could help me care more about others in my life. I definitely learn so much from her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment